SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review: The Atomic Weight Of Love

Wednesday 11 April 2018


Hi guys!
So, I have a confession to make. A couple of weeks ago I decided that groceries were not going to be my priority that week (who needs to eat, right?!) and instead purchased myself five new books. They were on a pretty good sale, but still five books at once was a bit of a splurge for me! The Atomic Weight Of Love was one of the books I purchased, and I've just finished it. I felt like I had to write a review of it because it really gave me some feelings!

This book follows the story of Meridian, a young woman living in America in the 1940's. Meri has adored birds throughout her entire life, and dreams of becoming an ornithologist with a sparkling career in science and research. Soon, she meets Alden, the intelligent professor and her intellectual match. As the years pass and life develops, Meridian finds her dreams of a wonderful career and untold discoveries slipping away into what is expected of her as a good woman and wife. The story follows Meri's journey to be true to herself, navigate the expectations of society and finally spread her wings.

THREE REASONS YOU'LL LOVE THIS BOOK:
1. The absolutely wonderful storyline! Books that encompass so much of the timeline of a person's life always make me so nostalgic and emotional! To see Meri grow up and finally spread her wings felt like an absolute honour to be a part of.

2.Feminism, yay! The book is set in a time where feminism was just beginning to take hold, with talk of women being able to vote sending shock waves through communities. The discussions between the women and the ideas that Meri has to keep hidden for so long give a real insight into what life was like for women at this time in history.

3. As a woman studying a science-related career, it was so nice and refreshing to read a book about someone so dedicated to her scientific studies. Her descriptions of her crows almost made me want to be an ornithologist too, haha!

What features do you look for in a good book? I hope you guys love this one as much as I do! Please do leave me a comment with recommendations for what I should be reading next!
Kate x

Post a Comment